Hand sanitizer, disinfectant and government suggested cleaning tips are on everyone’s radars these days, and for good reason. With the recent spread of COVID-19, we thought now would be a good time to share some of the best cleaning tips we found around the Internet, experts we spoke to and other ways to keep your Montrose apartment clean.
Our entire team at 2900 West Dallas works hard to keep our Montrose community clean, wiping down all surfaces and staying on top of spills and messes as they happen. We take extreme pride in how clean our Montrose apartments are, but inside your apartment may be a different story, so check out these 11 cleaning hacks and reminders to keep it clean and bright:
Here are 11 ways to ensure you have the cleanest apartment in Montrose!
- Doorknobs, light switches and remote controls need to be wiped down with disinfecting spray/wipes on a regular basis. Many experts recommend reading the fine print on the cleaning product you are using. Some products require that you leave it on the surface for an extended amount of time before wiping it down. To clean the remote, consider these tips from Real Simple: “To de-germ your TV remote control, first remove the batteries. Then use a clean cloth dipped in 70 percent isopropyl alcohol to wipe down the remote and use a Q-Tip to carefully clean the buttons. Make sure the remote is completely dry before replacing the batteries.” Another tip from Good Housekeeping, “Apply a toilet bowl cleaner, and let it sit for up to five minutes before scrubbing with a stiff-bristled toilet brush. Then wipe down the toilet seat and handle with disinfectant wipes. The goal? A sparkling white bowl and germ-free toilet seat.”
- When you are cleaning the kitchen and bathroom counters, don’t forget the faucets too, as you probably touch those more.
- If you have curtains, stuffed animals, dog toys and blankets, wash them regularly. Certain plastic toys can be run through the dishwasher, while others may need an organic disinfectant wipe.
- Wipe down your cell phones, iPads, tablets and laptop keyboards on a regular basis. According to this Real Simple article, “Considering how often we reach for our phones, it’s no surprise that a 2012 study by the University of Arizona found that cell phones have more germs than toilet seats. Yuck! To deep-clean your phone without risking water damage, follow our instructions from a pro. Keep your hands clean, wipe down the surface with an antibacterial microfiber cloth, and spray cleansers onto a cloth rather than directly onto the screen to prevent damage. Remove the case and wipe it with a clean cloth dipped in 70-percent isopropyl alcohol, then let dry.
- You should wipe down your microwave and kitchen cabinets regularly too, for spills and other germs. You can even deodorize your microwave by heating a mug of water with a lemon wedge, then wiping down all sides of the microwave.
- Don’t forget to shake out and wash your rugs on a regular basis.
- Every other month consider cleaning the inside of your refrigerator and freezer, which also serves as a good time to throw out things you won’t eat.
- Check the tags on your pillows (on your bed, guest bed, and décor pillows) and wash or dry-clean them every few months (be sure to read the cleaning instructions). These are great tips for washing your pillows.
- When you flip or rotate your mattress, run the vacuum over your mattress, every 3-6 months.
- “Restore your shower pressure. Unclog your shower head by mixing equal parts white vinegar and water and pouring it into a plastic bag. Tie the bag around the shower head to immerse the holes in the solution and secure with a twist tie. Let it soak for up to an hour, then remove and wipe away the loosened deposits,” Good Housekeeping. Don’t forget that one of the major benefits of living in our Houston luxury apartments is our A+ maintenance team that can help with things related to your apartment appliances, and we are always available to chat about helping you keep your apartment clean and cozy.
- Out of cleaning supplies? Make your own, like a simple yet effective kitchen cleaner and deodorizer (4 tablespoons baking soda and 1 quart warm water). Get more DIY cleaning recipes here.
Set a monthly reminder to alert you when it’s time for your monthly cleaning. You can also use this handy list on How to Clean Almost Anything, from A to Z. We also love this post on hacks to deep clean your apartment.
Be sure to follow our Facebook and Instagram pages to see what we’re up to and what local Montrose businesses we’re raving about. You can also visit our Houston luxury apartment blog to learn some new things to see and do throughout Houston.
If you’re on the hunt for the perfect Montrose apartment with grand amenities, we invite you to schedule a private tour by calling one of our expert leasing agents at 281.688.6478. Don’t forget to ask about our current leasing specials and availability.